Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Apprentice

Lightbulb Changing Aug

There was a discussion on gossip about updating the augment system. Credit goes to Mage for the idea, I'm just posting it here because I thought it was significant enough to warrant further discussion.

The suggestion was to set the pools cap back to 50k, but leave the other benefits from augmenting (stat cap, practice cap, inventory). The thought being that it would help balance things out a bit and facilitate PK.

There would be a need to reimburse people for the loss. The obvious one is to reimburse plats (can't give back the countless hours). But other suggestions would be good (%plats + %sun stones to help augment more, etc).

So what do people think? I think it would probably be a good idea for the long term health of Nodeka, but being nowhere near augmenting myself, my opinion really doesn't mean anything at all. The people who have already augmented, particularly those who have augmented heavily, are the opinions that matter.

Good idea? Bad idea? If a good idea, what would be fair (and realistic) compensation? If a bad idea, well..... I guess it's just a bad idea.

Note: This isn't something that is in the works or that anyone is "lobbying" for. Nijlo stated, during the discussion, that he had no intention of doing anything to the aug system. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions were on the topic.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
There was a discussion on gossip about updating the augment system. Credit goes to Mage for the idea, I'm just posting it here because I thought it was significant enough to warrant further discussion.

The suggestion was to set the pools cap back to 50k, but leave the other benefits from augmenting (stat cap, practice cap, inventory). The thought being that it would help balance things out a bit and facilitate PK.

There would be a need to reimburse people for the loss. The obvious one is to reimburse plats (can't give back the countless hours). But other suggestions would be good (%plats + %sun stones to help augment more, etc).

So what do people think? I think it would probably be a good idea for the long term health of Nodeka, but being nowhere near augmenting myself, my opinion really doesn't mean anything at all. The people who have already augmented, particularly those who have augmented heavily, are the opinions that matter.

Good idea? Bad idea? If a good idea, what would be fair (and realistic) compensation? If a bad idea, well..... I guess it's just a bad idea.

Note: This isn't something that is in the works or that anyone is "lobbying" for. Nijlo stated, during the discussion, that he had no intention of doing anything to the aug system. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions were on the topic.
He actually said he will not remove the augment system. Eg, he wont remove augment completely- however he did not specify if he would change the system ( I'm willing to be he would ), just an FYI.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn View Post
He actually said he will not remove the augment system. Eg, he wont remove augment completely- however he did not specify if he would change the system ( I'm willing to be he would ), just an FYI.
I think it would take a very significant majority of those who have augmented saying that it would be an ok change before he would even consider it. To many people have put too many hours into those pools to make this big of a change without fairly overwhelming support from those same players. But that is why I posted this. Lets see what people think.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Wanderer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
I think it would take a very significant majority of those who have augmented saying that it would be an ok change before he would even consider it. To many people have put too many hours into those pools to make this big of a change without fairly overwhelming support from those same players. But that is why I posted this. Lets see what people think.

Yeah... removing the augments wouldn't be a very good idea. It takes a great deal of time and energy to get to where me and other augmented players have gotten our characters to. To me it's very rewarding to see how much I've grown over the years.
And to be honest augmenting has been the only reason why I continue to donate on Nodeka for quite some time now... Collecting RP from winning trials and the rare chance of getting a sun stone from a citadel just isn't enough for my needs. And PKing players for RP is completely out of the question at my size, as I have at best 1 or 2 players on my RPA list, if that.

Nijlo did mention that he could limit augments which act like a pool cap. That idea could work if the augmented limit was high enough (something over 100 as to me 100 isn't hard to reach). I'm very open to new ideas, and would like to see what others come up with on this topic of discussion.

Last edited by Meier; 09-02-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Wanderer

Isn't the reason very few are on your RPA list because you've augmented so much and have your pools so high? By putting the cap back at 50k, wouldn't that mean more people would be on your RPA list again?

P.S. We're not talking about removing augments entirely, just putting a pool cap but keeping the other benefits. And maybe add new benefits in the future.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Novice

The handful of people who have donated so much to get their characters so big will probably never want to lose their advantage. Augment ruined the pvp on this game and made the politics somewhat ridiculous. People should play the game because they like it....not because they want to be the biggest mother-effer on it. If people actually cared about the future of the game they'd work towards making the noob experience more exciting. Eventually, there will be a point where character growth needs to be capped....or its just silly. 1000% skills.....200k health....I mean really. However, I realize the people who put the big money into this game keep it alive on a very literal level. I like playing this game still...and it would be a shame if it went under because those people stopped paying for its upkeep. So...I guess I don't care how big the disparity between veteran and noobie gets.....as long as I can still log on and have some fun. Augmenting pools should have never been implemented (the other bens seem reasonable). No one needs more than 50k to run an area...they need more than 50k so they can put "time" (bot all day) into their character...without being disturbed by pk. Lazy if you ask me. Anywho....thatz my two cents....peace.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay View Post
Isn't the reason very few are on your RPA list because you've augmented so much and have your pools so high? By putting the cap back at 50k, wouldn't that mean more people would be on your RPA list again?

P.S. We're not talking about removing augments entirely, just putting a pool cap but keeping the other benefits. And maybe add new benefits in the future.
No Arkay. Your rank major score determines who's on your RPA list, and that's there so it doesn't encourage large players to constantly PK much smaller characters for RP/renown.
And I'm all for a pool cap as long as it's high enough.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Wanderer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal1 View Post
The handful of people who have donated so much to get their characters so big will probably never want to lose their advantage. Augment ruined the pvp on this game and made the politics somewhat ridiculous. People should play the game because they like it....not because they want to be the biggest mother-effer on it. If people actually cared about the future of the game they'd work towards making the noob experience more exciting. Eventually, there will be a point where character growth needs to be capped....or its just silly. 1000% skills.....200k health....I mean really. However, I realize the people who put the big money into this game keep it alive on a very literal level. I like playing this game still...and it would be a shame if it went under because those people stopped paying for its upkeep. So...I guess I don't care how big the disparity between veteran and noobie gets.....as long as I can still log on and have some fun. Augmenting pools should have never been implemented (the other bens seem reasonable). No one needs more than 50k to run an area...they need more than 50k so they can put "time" (bot all day) into their character...without being disturbed by pk. Lazy if you ask me. Anywho....thatz my two cents....peace.
Eternal people can play the game however they feel like it, and for whatever reason it may be. And if you ask me I think augmenting has extended the lifespan of Nodeka or more players would have quit with even less to keep them busy and such...

So we're lazy huh? Well maybe I should start PKing you and your clan on a daily basis then. Jeez thanks Eternal for the ideas, keep them coming.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Eternal never quite got the hang of not upsetting folk.
Now then the PK situation... RP, Renown, sun stones for RP all these things have been introduced to try and get people to PK none seem to be working, so that leads me to think that this has nothing to do with augmenting, but more to do with attitude.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Wanderer

I've played Nodeka in its early years and it was alot of fun when everyone was around the same level/power, hence everyone was open season, forging alliances, plotting wars, etc, contributed to Nodeka being successful... after leaving it and coming back to it, the difference in the mud now to what i remember playing it is quite considerable in relation to what's required to become successful, people seem to be content just running cash/exp to achieve an impossible goal. To me this mud was alot more fun, when i was pvpÃ*ng, in all honesty it doesn't happen as much as it should do.

In relation to invoking a pool cap?, that would be interesting, but would upset people, change always does, however a pool cap would not only make more people open season, but certain zones will also keep their prestige of being hard.

Reimbursement will be hard, giving people sunstones and keeping their augment levels will still give them a distinct advantage from a stat point of view, even though you could match them on pools, you'll be way out of your depth stat wise and % wise, so not sure if thats such a good idea as well. The path Nodeka is on is a difficult one to back track from.