Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Apprentice

Default The State of the Noj (or me just rambling)

With quite a few new Noj's running around, I thought I would go through an exercise of reviewing the class.

In the spirit of all of the changes for classes that have come in the past year, lets look at what is trainable over 100% for Noj's:

Skills unique to the class:
Enhanced damage, Channeled Anger, Cleave

Common Skills:
Kick, Striking Fist, Ashi Barai Kick, Banded Smiting Initiative, Trip, Bash, Parry, Defenders Discipline, Field Aid

Not much in the uniqueness there.

Class Buffs (none trainable) - stat that it is based off of in ()

Thunderous Strike - extra attack(int/wis for frequency only)
Lightning Strike - quick/hit (con/wis)
Concentrated attack - hit/dam (wis)

nojohr's lightning choice - offense/defense/split (strength/willpower/speed)
nojohr's combat choice - strength/strike/speed (strength/dex/speed)

I didn't go into the other skills, but they are all over the map with stat they are based off of. The problem here is that
1) the skills are all over the place on stats,
2) the 3 main ones are based on stats that are not "physical" so if you are doing stat equipment, you either do physical stats for their natural benefits or do another stat for the buff
3) the rate the skills go up based on stats is about 25-30 to 1 after 300.

General class skills that could use some work:

Aulora's Gambit: Detect cloaked 40-50% (based on int) 3-4 min. This skill is mildly useful for running circus and zangolin. 50% detect is the same as 0% for detecting any cloaked char beyond mortal status. For 1800 endurance and blocking our only "burst" skill (gambit of the warring shield), this skill is basically useless.

Instrumentation of Riposte: Entirely dependant on parry (cleave can give a nice boost here). However, I noticed that even at 300%, parry and thus riposte dropped to almost 0 without a very high dex, even after the boost from cleave.

nojohr's lightning choice: The 3 choices for this
1) offense: gives - armed with - bolted lightning 7%
2) defense: gives - shield of lightning 11%
3) speed: gives +speed (depends on current speed, but generally 50+)
Options 1 (too low to matter) and 2 (I really hate counters and its a weak shield at a very low %) are pointless. I don't think there is a noj out there (besides true newbies) who uses anything besides #3. I used #3 even when the boost wasn't enough for an extra attack because the +2 quick from the extra speed was worth more than the other 2 options. This skill really needs to just be changed to be a +speed boost.

nojohr's combat choice: The 3 choices for this
1) Strength: +dam (~ +1/25str)
2) Strike: +hit (~ +2/25dex)
3) Speed: +quick (~ no clue, never use it)
Let's be honest, everybody uses the strength option 99% of the time. You might use the Strike option for PK. I seriously doubt anybody uses the speed option (based on speed and only +16quick at 800 speed). The speed option could be removed. Replacing this skill with something that is not a "choice" but a combination of 1 & 2 (not as strong as each individually or just 1) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thelgarron's fusing (commonly known as Fuse): Honestly, this skill has been as much of a curse for Noj's as it has helped. It is great for running small stuff. Everyone loves to point out that Noj's get this big boost (+60 hit/dam for the uninformed) as a reason why Noj's don't need any buffing. But the flip side is that you lose 60NR. Without fuse, Noj's offense is quite small, with fuse, we have no defense. It is 2 extremes.

Looking at class buffs and power (actual results may vary...a little):

Lightning strike:
- quickness +12
- hit +37

Concentrated attack:
- damage +22
- hit +22

thunderous strike
- armed with - strike of thunder 100%

nojohr's combat choice (prevent: 10 min up, 2.5 down)
- damage +18

nojohr's lightning choice (prevent: 10 min up, 2.5 down)
- speed +80 (based on 786 base speed... 55 at 400ish base)

thelgarron's fusing (prevent: 10 min up, 3.5 down)
- nat resist -60
- damage +60
- hit +60

The quick numbers:

With fuse:
+100 dam
+119 hit
-60 NR
2 attacks (assuming speed gets you over the hump)

Without fuse:
+40 dam
+59 hit
2 attacks (assuming speed gets you over the hump)

Between prevents:
+22 dam
+59 hit
1 attack

With Fuse, the numbers look nice. Without fuse, the numbers are not exactly staggering/OP for a class that is supposed to be one of the hardest hitting classes. With Fuse up, the -NR basically cancels the benefits against anything that can hit back. Great for running, but a double edged sword in PK (damned if you do, damned if you don't).

Looking at the sub-classes:

Silvern Nojohr:
Extra port - nice (and the only reason I ever see anyone play the sub-class.... during SU week only)
Gate crash - neat skill but uhh yay
Encircling Ambiance - aside from a second gate crash wtf does this skill do? Beuller... Beuller
extra lock

Defensive Nojohr:
2 situational parries and a skill that requires that you wear a shield!!!!!!! I think there is a reason nobody plays this sub-class.... ever.

Nojohr Judge:
Not exactly sure what the judgements do, but people always say they are badass, but have huge prevents.
extra lock.

Magos and Lernen:
The only 2 sub-classes that get any play. We all know what these do.

So where do Noj's stand?

Basically the class has no scaling at all. With none of the buffs trainable and the stat conversion relatively negligible (25-30 for 1 hit/dam fom skill or just get 30 str/dex for 4 dam/hit naturally). The class is almost entirely defined by equipment and enhanced damage.

Long ago, Noj's were at least in the top 3 in melee damage. These days, they are more like 6th or 7th (falling much farther if you count pets). Considering that the base class has little outside of the normal combat rounds. Kick being the only true spammable (with cleave if on multiple targets) and 1 "burst" skill for 15 seconds. The lack of scaling, as other classes have grown, has hurt Noj's a lot.

Whim has mentioned that scaling the class is rather difficult because 2 sub-classes (magos and lernen) are much stronger than the other sub-classes. This issue is going to continue and probably get worse as other classes get new treats that Noj's can "steal". As Fenulia pointed out, there are some skills that a Noj just shouldn't have (Bleed jumps right to the top of that list.... Battle learning for lerned is almost as bad).

Truly balancing the other 3 sub-classes with magos and lerned is probably going to be impossible in the long run (since lerned and magos can steal from those also). Because of this, the class as a whole is left in limbo.

In all honesty, the "study" skills should be removed. I know every other noj out there is going to hate me for saying that. Don't get me wrong, I love having a menu of options to fit what I am doing at the time, but realistically these are the only 2 skills that are keeping the Noj a competitive class (and by virtue of that suppressing the other sub-classes).

The consideration of whether a Noj will "steal" a skill should not need to be a factor when Whim is balancing/adding skills for other classes . But we also can't have that aspect of the game ignored resulting in what is effectively "I win" situations (e.g. Bleed or say a new skill 3x melee damage for 10 seconds which might be fine for a fallad, but a noj stealing it.....).

I would rather lose this abilities now and have it replaced with some cool new unique skills that would allow the sub-classes to become balanced. That would allow the class as a whole to grow and evolve instead of waiting for other classes to get something cool to steal. It is better in the long run than having the Noj class as a whole stagnate indefinitely.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Hero

Nojohr Judge = super sweet abilities. Makes it so your opponent is going to die.
Defensive = what you don't know about the shield will rock your world.

Whim will definately do something to/with Nojohr.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Apprentice

Thank you for the run down.

Field Aid is not a shared skill with any other class.

I can't wait until shields get a real implementation. Right now, they don't function as shields so much as attack disablers.

I'm sure nojohrs are slated for future improvements and changes.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Apprentice

nojs actually hit really hard...you really can't deny that...they are probably still in the top 3 bracket of melee damage...behind barbs and *cough* warlock (wtfz? this still makes no sense to me btw)...that being said, nojohrs also take probably the most damage compared with other classes...yes that includes footpads =/...parry blows compared to dodge and evasion...and there are way too many skills/spells that are unparryable...the judgements own...but it's hard for nojohrs to keep anyone in combat long enough to actually make it work...and the shield...lets just say rescue got toned =/...also riposte damage doesn't seem to scale much and kinda blows...instrumentation of healing should increase healing done by field aid along with the reduced lag...fusing should minus only half the NR when used on self (if i know the skill well enough, i should be able to reduce the drawbacks right?)...auloras gambit and warring shield should be on seperate prevents or the prevent for auloras should be reduced (seriously 50% see cloaked vs 30% see cloak of rank affects? who bothers?)OR it should include see invis/blackened (would make sense if you read the help file)...
i'm gonna agree that no one would use any of the other lightning choices apart from the +speed one...the only time i ever used the bolted lightning was when the +speed didn't get me an extra attack (still makes more sense than getting +2 quick imo)...and i actually used +hit for my combat choice (this was a long time ago though)...

oh btw...i have also given up on trying to improve the nojohr class (class changed...DUH!!)...i've been trying for so long and never got much positive feedback ...hope you've got better luck now that the classes are actually getting looked at though...

Argh - Noj at heart ^_^
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Apprentice

One way that Whim(and possibly Nijlo before him) has tried to balance Magos/Lernen is to not allow them any of the post 100% benefits of stolen abilities. However, the fact that some skills/spells actually get less increase in benefits the higher you go, kind of goes against that(although conversely, I can see diminishing returns as a way to let the smaller new guys catch up). Personally, I'm against them taking subclass unique powers, but that argument's been lost long ago. I'm just thankful that Nojohr's don't have something like Bulwark to use with Bleed and Dreynen. Speaking of which, both those spells are ridiculously strong when used by mobs, since no players I know of have the 1 million mana+spirit+endurance to counter a bleed from a large mob(going from memory, Bleed does the Necro's mod HP as "damage" to all the other pools of the target. Dreynen does less, but also damages the HP simultaneously).