Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Wanderer

Default This would solve EVERYTHING! *sarcasm - mostly*

Man, this forum looks pretty dead, and the mud has about 1/2 the ppl on it compared to my hay-day (2000-2004).

A part of the game that evolved to what it is now that I (here comes the opinion) think makes this mud unattractive to new players is - here it comes - Players can\'t hit other Players in PVP!

This is a real simple concept (yeah, I know, Nodeka likes to be complicated), but in most games of this kind, you can actually be a factor in a pfight after a couple months of devoted play. When the nubs figure out that they will NEVER be able to even scratch a major remort I believe you lose a large percentage of them.

I know that everyone wants to be freakin\' invincible just because they have a mod 500 agility and it took them 2 months to get it there, but really, it doesn\'t make any sense that you can dodge/evade 6 people at a time and change the space/time continuum every time someone swings at you. Disregarding real-world physics is fine, but 15 minute pfights are just plain ridiculous not to mention the fact that half the mud can\'t even try to avenge their beat-down by a high level character. Yeah, so you say the mortals and minors have no business messing with a major, but I say there aren\'t enough players to make that argument valid anymore.

I\'ll mention it again. Nodeka wasn\'t always this way. PK used to be fun for everyone. Maybe this rant is just wishing for the old days when PvP PK was more prevalent/fun. Somewhere along the line, the mud moved to bot-city. The RK rule discussion would be almost moot if players could be hit by any other player and only have a minute or 2 of survival against the same.

Really I guess it comes down to catering to the old guard players who have donated tons and want to bot and not have to worry about RK\'s (who would whine incessantly if things changed), or actually open the game up to new players who\'s interest in the game wouldn\'t wane after they realize they can never be a factor.

If you see me on Nodeka, I\'ll be running that script...

-Zq
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Default Re:This would solve EVERYTHING! *sarcasm - mostly*

PVP what a nice concept much better than the GVP we have going on occasion
Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Novice

Actually, what might make the game a lot more accessible for smaller players (PK-wise) is to reduce the effects of evade/dodge/parry pretty significantly for each additional person hitting you, sort of like adaptive combat tactics is now. This would give a bunch of smallbies in a group a chance of taking down somebody bigger, which would be exciting; or, at the very least, helping their bigger clannies out a little bit.

Maybe some skills that can only be used (Hamstring, backstab, whatever) when your target is not targeting you. Redirect / rescue might have to be looked at, but I think it'd be a cool idea.

Also, maybe scale PK rewards to the relative size of the person you killed. Like, if you kill somebody larger than you (by points) you get extra bonus, or 1% chance of sun stone, or something like that to encourage this sort of thing.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Apprentice

How about we look at the way pk has changed, Zqxm.

While you're right, player sizes have gotten larger than before and the gap between a newer player and the older ones is ever increasing, it is not, as you suggest, insurmountable. Various players have demonstrated how with either time or money (or both) the gap can be bridged. Perhaps it isn't as simple as how certain people once did it by simply purchasing the biggest characters outright, but I guess somehow you viewed that one as okay.

Yes, half the mud probably can't avenge themselves on the bigger characters, but then again back in your 'hayday' that was true too. Only difference is now you're not one of the 'bigger' ones, so the tables seem slightly different from the other side. Bigger characters always have had the advantage - provided of course they know how to use it. What do you suggest it should be, that training be disallowed and everyone set at equal pools to prevent such a thing?

PK fights do take a long time now, sure. Removing the half-damage in pk would help this, but of course create an uproar among botters. I think you'll find most of your clannies would probably balk at this the most.

Which brings me to my final laugh at your particular expense. Sure pk isn't as prevalent, and of course it isn't. You and your clan (Arma/Xendom) in particular never have had the stomach for a fight unless you have a clearcut advantage, as the last two weeks or so have proven delightfully. PK dies off because people are unwilling to PK, it is that simple. Oh sure, you go around complaining about everyone else and their pk habits, but when it comes right down to it, unless you guys outnumber and outsize the people you're fighting, you just die a lot and then get emo about it, despite the fact that you guys 'wanted' the fight in the fist place.

You did so before, and ended up quitting, and then came back and quit again. I guess by past precedent, it is about time you quit now too huh?

And that of course is why you can't find pk - you quit instead of fighting.

-Iblis.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

I read facts in the post above!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Novice

Default ...

Personally i donty think that pools should have ever been allowed to get past 50k o0

A 'mob' of newbies should be able to take out a major remort no problem .. unless of course they have abagilliank hp

Whats the cut of point? will people ever be able to catch up to and compete with some of the big players?

haha i dont wanna play if i cant catch up , ya pvp is lots of fun with people your size ..

1- the more people that are hitting someone the easier it should be to hit them, and more damage they should take
2- now that we revamped races , we should revamp classes and make everything do more damage to compensate for the big pools..
or put the pool traning cost on a curve which makes it easier to get up big and buff
3- i wonder if half the people on this mud really know how to pk o0 especially the 'veterans' they just go hit someone and since they are like 10x bigger they let their scripts do the work.

the thing that attracted me to this mud was the pvp but when i get on i dont see any going on :/ thats just sad ..

Sasuke
________
volcano vaporizers

Last edited by Sasuke; 01-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

If it is made so that a person can evade/dodge/parry less when more people are hitting it, or generally just people miss less when their target is being hit by others too, then all that will encourage is zerging (and in the case of some, multiplaying), which is even less 'skill' than anything else.

Last edited by Iblis; 06-11-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Novice

Augment truly ruined the PVP on this game...50k health is generally not needed to run most areas...hopefully he new recruitment efforts of the immortals will bring more players to the game.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Wanderer

I don't think that recruitment should only be the responsibility of the immortals. I don't know what is wrong with Nodeka, personally, and have no say in that. I just wanted to comment that I believe everyone that plays should try to recruit a person a month at least. If you can't recruit from a pool of friends, then write a review or even simply vote.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 AM
Novice

Default Clan Size

I still think that significantly limiting clan sizes would also help, eventually. Initially friends would still protect each other accross clan lines, but with time the true helping will slow/stop. Look at Caller/Legion if you want proof. I think they generally like each other, were clannies, but no longer fight as a unit.

Limiting clan sizes will make player selection for clans more important- class, size, times of day usually played.

Hacing more smaller clans will increase the accessability of pk for everyone.

Berengei