Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Apprentice

Default Suggestions from a Ninja

In list format. As always, skewed towards the class(es) I play or interact with the most, due to familiarity with the subject matter. I guess there's no need to include sub-class commentary at this point.

1. Antei of the Clouded Mind needs a lower downtime. Either have the duration extended or the prevention lowered, but either way, the dead time is extremely high.

2. Antei of Formation should have its duration scale more sharply with constitution. I seriously don't care about constitution, since all my preventions have constant downtime and the increase to uptime is not significant. Constitution should probably have some bearing on a class.

3. Devil's Siphon isn't very good.

4. Oji-oem could stand to gain some wisdom. There aren't that many classes that won't suffer heavily anytime their spirit drops out, especially with willpower as the only spell-stat. I'd like to see this race opened up a bit more to trackers, valkyries, and nojohr.

5. Is it possible to sustain while unconscious?

6. Willed protectors have terrible endurance. (Mortal/minor remort versions). I mean TERRIBAD.

7. Ambush and shadow/shi-ku/hunt all need better methods of release. Ambush can't be released without sleeping or moving (that's just a little weird), and shadow/shi-ku/hunt release only works as a separate use, which requires both endurance and out-of-combat. Neither condition should be a requirement.

8. New skill idea for footpads: double-cross. Redirect, but only to your target's target. Obviously doesn't work if you're tanking, but you can join someone and then stab them (without vanishing). All usual mechanics apply. It could come with a small combat bonus as well, since I guess it would be surprising. Not sure as to the usefulness, since it's not THAT often that I'm stabbing one target and decide I'm on the wrong one. (Actually, if I'm honest, I need this all the time when I try to help Rar. Not that I'm a footpad.)

9. I think ninjas should have better hand dice! Didn't we used to have 33 D 3? I'm not sure why it got toned, but I think that's really weird that it got toned.

10. I don't understand witches not having magic arrow past mortal. Are practices refunded if magic arrow is practiced as a mortal?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Novice

On #8. That is open to much abuse.

Seems like a neat skill idea for a footpad type. Certainly something they would do.

If it didn't have a bonus of some sort (like strike from the shadow bonus). I wouldn't bother using it, unless it was exactly like redirect. And footpads shouldn't have redirect. We're not that nice/kind hearted to bother trying to assist someone else in that manner.

If it has a bonus. Then it would be easy to abuse unless you give it a stupid high prevent to help limit its use.
I am a stalker of shadows, with fingers both quick and light. I am aware of the softest sounds and move even softer. My friends are none, my obligations are less. I tread with the scum of the earth. I am a thief, and it's a pleasure to meet you.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Apprentice

lol...nefarious combat infusion needs a lower downtime too...it's prevention is ridiculously high for what it does...

for #2, antei of formation needs a higher prevent time then...5 minutes is way too short imo...

you shouldn't be able to die from shields!!! not to mention that death from shields does not proc sustained life...
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Apprentice

#1. Needs tweakage. Overlapping with #2 wouldn't be nearly as annoying if it was something closer to up10/down10.

#2. Constitution/20 duration translates to about 15-20 seconds, depending almost entirely on your race/sigil buffs and whether your choice of equipment happens to have +Con(No Ninja would pick Constitution to buff) 20/1 down/up ratio is ridiculous though.

#3. Should it be comparable to Wrinkle? I mean, Warlocks are plenty strong in combat. On the other hand, Necromancers can already spoil your day with bleed/obfuscous/egress/bane, without really needing even more damage. I'm ambivalent about this. Charged preventions are just plain odd(plus since Ninjas don't get them, don't have enough experience to make full judgement)

#4. Basically you want Oji to be better for casters? I could see the +Wisdom being useful for Ninjas and Paladins as well, I guess.

#5. I thought the whole point was that Sustain ONLY kicked in when you were unconscious.

#6. Think it's something like 33% of the caster's endurance. Really only matters when you have less than 1k endurance.

#7. Can't really think of anything else to say about this. Ambush/Shi-ku/Hunt should have a "free de-mode" choice, I guess.

#8. Hmm. Pretty sure doing so would retain strike from the shadows regardless(since you're not the tank unless the new target redirects to you).

#9. Not much point to this unless you're disarmed. I guess I would support it as a minor advantage for Ninjas(as opposed to everyone else except Monks) fighting Valkyries/Poliirs using Disarm. Also because it's thematic.

#10. Agree on this one. It's been like that for a year, so I guess either it should be removed(and any witches still possessing it get back 1 practice plus any spent to get it over 100%), or given back to the remorts. Not like that extra kick-level damage every 7 seconds would make that much difference. I guess?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Apprentice

i think fenulia's on crack...a capped ryfe ninja alone would have 400 cons...throw in a couple of cons crafted and you'll hit 500 cons easy enough...or better yet...cons rp earrings for 800 cons...according to my calculations, you'll antei beatdown for a good 13 rounds of antei with the first option...and a good 20 rounds for the second one...for a bloody 5 minute prevent...which i think is lowered by constitution anyway!!
for the same prevention time, i can get...+110 str for 4 minutes...yay me...and nefarious combat infusion > your skills for deadtime....2 minutes up...over 20 minutes down...and you can flee from it...and it really doesn't do THAT much...wizards get it as a spellup!!! sorta =/....
oh and no paladin will ever go oji...or they'll pretty much kiss their spirit attacks goodbye...not quite sure any ninja will go oji either...
and please don't talk about thematic when we're playing a game where casters tank better than fighters!!! sheesh
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedFurby View Post
On #8. That is open to much abuse.

Seems like a neat skill idea for a footpad type. Certainly something they would do.

If it didn't have a bonus of some sort (like strike from the shadow bonus). I wouldn't bother using it, unless it was exactly like redirect. And footpads shouldn't have redirect. We're not that nice/kind hearted to bother trying to assist someone else in that manner.

If it has a bonus. Then it would be easy to abuse unless you give it a stupid high prevent to help limit its use.
Well my intent was just on switching targets just like redirect. It's not being kind-hearted, it's called double-cross, isn't it? It's more like stabbing someone in the back after you've fought alongside them.... I didn't envision an added bonus, although one could certainly be added in. It would have extremely limited usefulness of course. You're basically required to find two targets that you're trying to kill and happen to be killing each other. This ability is more about help you gauge which one is more appropriate to kill... which I guess you could do with vanish/sidestep, etc, but what if you were northwinded or somesuch? Anyway, it's a cheap idea, just thrown out there.

Argh, the very idea of a ninja deciding to go ryfe (lol) wearing +con crafted (omg) and then buying +con rp gear (wtf) is absurd. And if you compare the uptime, formation at 15 seconds is up for 5% of the time. Anyway, it's just how I feel.

I like thematic consistency, and just because the game overall might not have full consistency, that doesn't mean I can't suggest something (like hand dice) to increase thematic attractiveness ever so slightly.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Apprentice

Casters tank better than fighters because "Magic can do anything.". Same reason why D&D full-casters pretty much rape Fighters, Rogues, and every other non-magical class, then charge them for that privelege.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Apprentice

nod@syv...atm of course it sounds absurb...but if it gave you 1 minute long antei for a 3 minute prevent, wouldn't you do it??
@fenulia...next up, pixie barbs, dragon/giant rogues, troll casters, porting monks, grounded units hitting flying units, blah blah blah...i could go on forever =/
Old 08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

I dunno. 40 seconds/20 rounds of extra attacks. Let's see.

20*6=120, times 120-ish damage per attack vs players, 14400 damage. Over 40 seconds. I dunno. Unless you're looking to carry your Antei of Formation from somewhere near the end of the first Keiiken to the beginning of the second(for a better quivering imprint or whatever), the trade-off likely wouldn't be worth it. That much Constitution would also give you an obscenely long whispering wind antei of well over half an hour, but should you lose the affect by death or whatever, you still have to wait 2 minutes on top of the remaining prevention in order to put it back on. Now, if whispering wind/hakanai/antei of formation could be stacked like immunities(due to having shorter prevention than duration), everyone else would be up in arms. I do think Antei of Formation being a little shorter in prevention would be somewhat of a self-correcting problem, if the endurance cost remained. You lose a huge chunk of endurance(hit/dam as well), in exchange for a short burst of increased damage. Of course, doing the math for the balancing point is not exactly something I'm going to go into after a long day of work/just before bed. :/
Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Apprentice

ROFL...really fenulia...way to embarass yourself...ok lets see...
120 damage (really? you're obviously lacking something)...now add in the +dex which works with all your normal attacks, stun, !dodge/!parry...throw in your normal attacks into the equation and also !nr (why would you want to talk about any other ninja anyway?) and you're looking at 26 or so attacks per round...for maybe 350ish damage per attack averaged (this is rather low btw...syv hits me for CAPITAL damage)...now based on my math, 26 * 350 * 20 = 182000 damage...for a 5 minute prevent...which you want lowered...flowering spirit would put in an additional 9100 somewhere in there...and if timed after keiiken...would probably be 9500 + an extra 400ish damage in one of the rounds out of the 40...now tell me again WTF you were thinking?? mathematically, that's 200k++ without kungfus...without including damage from shadow cast/strike from shadows(whatever it's called)...i think we should give ninja's spellbound and remove antei of formation instead...how about that?

Last edited by Argh; 08-17-2009 at 03:40 AM.