Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Novice

Lightbulb Ideas for qekon-oku (Monk of the Mystic)

As qekon-oku is simply a very weak ability, I thought I'd throw around some thoughts on improving it a bit.

Currently, it's an aoe attack that does low damage and has a fairly long prevent for what it does. Even at 500+ speed it rarely does more than 2k damage, usually hitting between 800-1,500, making it pretty useless for pk and definitely worthless for running, unless you can get someone to summon massive amounts of mobs into one room.

Some ideas:

1) Add an effect to the skill so that it stuns anything it hits for one round. Doing this, it would be useable in some pk situations (those where the room is clear of dangerous mobs) and would be nice for group pk battles. To make this more interesting, you could make it a delayed stun, like the latent blooms in mantis stance.

2) Add a temporary amount of dexterity to the monk based on the amount of damage the qekon-oku does (obviously, it would increase the more targets there are). This would help the monk with stuns for a time after using the aoe.

3) Make it a targetable aoe. Something like warlock tiaran, but the prevent would still be comparitively high and you'd really have to keep track of where your target is, so you don't hit large mobs.

4) Make it so that anything hit by qekon-oku loses the ability to cast/invoke spells for a short period of time. This would make the class a kind of mage-killer monk.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Apprentice

i like the idea of a small aoe stun
________
Iolite reviews

Last edited by grimm; 03-10-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Apprentice

do monks really need another stun?
i'd suggest giving them a buff...lets say 3 minutes for a 20 minute prevent...
whenever the monk successfully lands a stun (not temple touch...spam temple touch gets kinda boring) it gives a debuff to the opponent...unable to cast + use skills 60% of the time, unable to parry/dodge/evade 60% of the time...this debuff will last...lets say 10 seconds (trainable for longer affect? up to 30 seconds at 605% or something...or maybe longer uptime + prevent)...

this way, monks would actually use stun...plus it's good for group pvp...monks placing the debuff on every enemy by stunning them instead of the current target without having to get out of combat like warlocks do...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Novice

I really like the debuff idea. I would be prone to use stuns more than I do now. And lord knows it would be light years beyond the usefulness of qekon-oku.

This made me think of another possibility. It might be cool if one of the monk subclasses had special stuns that froze pools. Like "spirit stun", "mana stun", "endurance stun". They could work like temple touch, taking a few rounds to perform, and, if they hit, freeze your opponents ability to use the stunned pool. You could do this a few times and hit all three pools at the expense of a few rounds to build for each stun.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Apprentice

endurance stun would be too abused...really...talk about a battle lock, run away lock, recall lock all in one...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Apprentice

meh always seen monks as fist warriors with constant stun abilities.

really don't see why they can't have an aoe stun. Maybe make it workable with their under stuns?. Maybe like argh said maybe a stun but not in the sense of a "unable to perfom abilities stun" more of a stun that lowers their defense or ability to perform in battle.

I just imagined a monk jumping in the air and landing onto the ground fist first, pounding the earth and sending a shockwave that knocks his surrounding enemies into a stupor. sounds pretty cool to me :P

hmm actually i still prefer aoe stun lol....well just thinking there isn't a skill that actually stuns the flankers unless someone spams a flanker.
say everyone's hitting the tank and blasting all their skills on the tank.
The tank has a monk who's helping him stun his target but sees enemies all around damaging his tank so he does an aoe stun that stops the others from using skills for a short period.
________
LINCOLN CAPRI PICTURE

Last edited by grimm; 03-10-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Novice

Nod, I'm all for the aoe stun change to qekon-oku. It would give the subclass a more active role in group pk or even when multiple mobs hit a group member during invasions, something the monk is lacking, unless you count targeting your opponents one at a time with stun/temple.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Apprentice

most aoe anything is put under a very long prevent because it is too powerful...the only aoe skill that isn't a prevent is the barb hammer i think...things like fury, quickblade, rite of sundering, that valk aoe skill and even ranged aoe's are on prevents...would you really want an aoe stun you could probably use only once in a fight?? and one that would be especially useless in one vs one situations...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Apprentice

Well they have other one-on-one skills :/
________
MATRIX

Last edited by grimm; 03-10-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Apprentice

how about just changing stun to an aoe and making it a 20 second prevent?
that way, monks can have both their new skills and have aoe stun if they need it...and in 1vs1 situations, they can just spam TT...awesome...ninjas will have the superb aoe stun as well...and when it's prevented, kick ass hurricane kick/au-sem-mao...YAY NINJAS??