Official Nodeka Board  

Go Back   Official Nodeka Board > Nodeka > General Discussion > Suggestions

Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

See MOTD augments have been capped.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Apprentice

Lightbulb

Random question.... after 50k hps, is there anything PvE that is actually a challenge to do? One of the things for me, being relatively small, that is still interesting is trying to grow so that I can do some of the zones. There are still things to explore and try, challenges to conquer. Other than the challenge of making it to the next aug level, is there really anything PvE wise that the bigger people can aspire to? With 70-80k hps, is there any zone that is even remotely challenging (and I honestly do not know the answer to that other than guessing no)?

If the only incentive at that level is to get to the next aug, then I would think there is not that great of satisfaction, but that is just my opinion.

What if there was a cap on pools, but also add some serious high-end zones that require people to group to go through, have an ultra slow repop (like 24 hours or more), but also load some really spiffy gear. Then you have groups trying to run the zones, the fun of raiding parties interrupting, and turf wars to see who can get to it first on repop. If you also limited group sizes you would create competition (vs the entire mud going after a zone).

I would even say that it would be good to go so far as to create special RDeath rules for those zones, such that it acts as an automatic storm crystal or corpses last for like an hour in the zone or you can purchase special storm crystal like items that work only in that zone, and intentionally make it hard enough that people die..... regularly. Make it hard enough that a solid group of 6-10 would need to be well coordinated and fairly well balanced and still have extreme difficulty being able to actually complete the zone.

3-4 zones like that, particularly ones that actually take hours to clear out and pose a serious health hazard, would really help the clan system to have a comeback, encourage PK, encourage a diversification of classes (such as healers), and provide a thinking alternative to the normal bot type zones.

Something like this could also be a way to introduce "artifact" type equipment. Items that are very strong, but only one of each exists. If the owner of the artifact dies, the artifact returns to its spawn point. That could be a huge incentive for PKing both to be able to run the zones to get the items, and for chasing those who have the items (who might need to run in groups for protection). There would just have to have some rules around them to prevent hoarding or putting on storage chars etc.

I realize these are suggestions that are more along the "traditional" mud lines and that nodeka is a very different style of game (which one of the attractive things about it), but it could add some flavor to the end game by adding a PvE setting that is actually a challenge and real reasons to PK.

Ok, I went way off the original question with that tangent, but it was an idea to throw out there. Back to shutting up now.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I think what the others were trying to say is that the size characters can get to now is still too large.

And Iron, I actually like those ideas a lot. Areas like those would definitely give more of an incentive for people to play some of the less played classes, such as healers. A VERY nice idea.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
It would be naive to suggest that augment is the only determinant of size.

As things stand now sure, augments were capped, but skill percentages were just made that much wilder.

So essentially, while yes, capping augments was a step that was essential - its effect is minimal, if any at all, because instead other avenues of even greater growth exist.

Here's what affects 'growth':

1. Pools, Stats
2. Percentages
3. Gear and Crafted Gear

Augment was, and is, merely a tool to expand areas 1 and 2.

Sure it could be argued that with the cap at Aug71 people will all reach there eventually and then things will balance out. But lets face it, the vast majority of the mud is not going to reach it, ever. In fact, most will probably quit once they either do the math, or try and become disillusioned with it.

So for the sake of the 1% that will reach it, the other 99% is left having no choice but to bot in order to get anywhere.

Or in other words, features are put in just to cater to the 1% that do bot 24-7 (and are pretty much just shells that are as additive to the community as any of Ody's multies) and these features force the rest of the community to also try to bot 24-7, or at least as much time as they can, just so that they don't get left behind.

Honestly, I'd trade every 10 botters for 1 player that actually does play, but maybe that's just me.

-Iblis.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Wanderer

An augment cap of 71 really does nothing.

A cap suggests that beyond that point people would be way over powered.
I would suggest that that has happened way before that cap kicks in.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Apprentice

Wow. Me agreeing with Iblis. Never thought I'd see the day 4(5?) years ago. On the one hand, I'm always bitching about how equipment seems to be the prime determinant of how fights go. On the other hand, the power disparity between the have(augments) and the have-nots is likewise ridiculous(and only marginally more attainable than scoring that perfect super-unique). Said it before and I'll say it again. Need to get to a state where one's ability to type the correct commands at the right time actually means something. Maybe have the system flash skill/spell names in a certain colour, and you have to type the command in full in order to gain a small boost(10-20%?) in damage. Sort of like "Your opponent has left his legs undefended! Ashi Barai Sweep!" Of course, maybe we can just drop the move name from the announcement, so you'd have to read the help files and realise that Ashi Barai targets the legs, so use it, rather than being told outright. The colour thing is to discourage people from just setting up triggers(and maybe make it so if you use the skill within X seconds of the wrong coloured phrase being used, you actually get penalised with a hit/damage loss).
Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenulia View Post
Wow. Me agreeing with Iblis. Never thought I'd see the day 4(5?) years ago. On the one hand, I'm always bitching about how equipment seems to be the prime determinant of how fights go. On the other hand, the power disparity between the have(augments) and the have-nots is likewise ridiculous(and only marginally more attainable than scoring that perfect super-unique). Said it before and I'll say it again. Need to get to a state where one's ability to type the correct commands at the right time actually means something. Maybe have the system flash skill/spell names in a certain colour, and you have to type the command in full in order to gain a small boost(10-20%?) in damage. Sort of like "Your opponent has left his legs undefended! Ashi Barai Sweep!" Of course, maybe we can just drop the move name from the announcement, so you'd have to read the help files and realise that Ashi Barai targets the legs, so use it, rather than being told outright. The colour thing is to discourage people from just setting up triggers(and maybe make it so if you use the skill within X seconds of the wrong coloured phrase being used, you actually get penalised with a hit/damage loss).
No matter the mechanism it can be scripted.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Apprentice

Do triggers take note of colour? From what I've experienced with JMC, the triggers generally didn't give a crap what colour the words were, they activated(which was part of the whole problem with emote/social and trigger abuse previously). Of course, other clients could be better equipped to tackle colour.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Wanderer

You can use JMC to make triggers that take note of colour.